[CAUT] Thumping Baldwin SF and Bechstein C

Bob Hohf rhohf at centurytel.net
Tue Dec 23 08:31:52 PST 2008

> >> What bothered me was excessive action noise, thumping on every
> >> key.  It started to stand out in the midrange
> >> so I pulled the action thinking there must be foreign objects or
> >> bedding issues.  No FOs but bedding might be an
> >> issue, no glides.
> >>
> >> Is this a typical feature of Baldwins or is this likely a bedding
> >> issue?

If your thumping has a pitch, it may be the wooden hammer rest rail that has
just the right length and stiffness to resonate when the shanks strike it.
If this is the case, you may be able to mute it by putting some soft felt
pads between the rail and the nuts on the rail supports.  If this doesn't
work, you may have to make a new rail that doesn't resonate.

Bob Hohf