[CAUT] Thumping Baldwin SF

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 23 09:47:10 PST 2008

Don Mannino wrote:
> I've experienced this key noise as well.  You can verify it by clipping
> a small spring clamp on the key at some point, then re-testing.
>
> I suppose it could be fixed permanently, but I've never tried it.  I
> have always just reduced it through wippen heel cloth and balance hole
> service.
>
> I wonder if loading the keys up with thin C/A glue would kill the
> resonance?  Or at least raise the pitch of the noise enough to make it
> inoffensive.
>
> Don Mannino

I've played around with it a few times through the years, with
small mass loads and stiffeners of various kinds, looking for
a quick cheap dodge. A top plate or longer key button helps,
but it's sort of expensive for an "oh, by the way" noise
reduction fix that doesn't bother the owner at all. An easy
magic fix would be a good thing to have next time it comes up.

Ron N