[CAUT] Sostenuto

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Dec 29 15:58:21 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 8:45 PM, Jerry Cohen wrote:

> First the sostenuto pedal is depressed holding the appropriate
> notes. With
> the sostenuto still depressed, she would use the damper pedal. So
> far no
> problem. Then with the damper pedal still depressed, she would
> release the
> sostenuto pedal.
snip
> From a piano performance point of view, is this a "legal" use of the
> sostenuto? After all, even if the blade could return to rest, there
> would
> still be the ugly noise from all the individual tabs flipping.

Like Ron N says, this is where you expect to hear a slap sound. Any
pianist who makes much use of a sostenuto needs to know this: always
release both pedals simultaneously, or at any rate never release the
sostenuto with the damper pedal engaged. Not all are aware of this,
and not all piano profs know to teach it (none of my teachers ever
did). Not what you asked, but something to know and to convey to
pianists (when you are in a situation where you can do that, probably
not right before the concert <G>). Definitely "illegal."

	I can't imagine any regulation issue that would cause the hang up you
describe. Maybe too weak a return spring - much too weak, or one that
isn't properly engaged (I don't know the Yamaha design off hand). Or
excess friction where it pivots (I've seen that in some Steinways,
where there was so much friction the spring couldn't overcome it), or
perhaps somewhere in the trapwork. Those springs are plenty strong
enough to overcome the tab springs as a rule. The rod should
definitely swing past/through the tabs.

	There is an article on sostenuto by Kent Swafford in the January PTJ
(nice work, Kent!)

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico