[CAUT] Sostenuto

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 30 10:19:00 PST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 7:25 PM, Jerry Cohen wrote:
> Unfortunately the pianist is a professor (Doctorate from Manhattan),
> so I
> don't think I should teach her about the sostenuto!!!

Well, that's partly a question of personality and how you are able to
create a relationship with the pianist. You need to project self-
confidence, a friendly and non-threatening manner, the voice of
authority offered without condescension. And pick a time when nobody
else is around (no stage hands eavesdropping). Yes, it's certainly
tricky and a little frightening, but the fact is that you know a lot
more about the mechanism of the piano than most professional pianists,
with or without doctorate from whatever school, prestigious or not.
	Which is why I do my best to do a session or two on piano action for
all piano majors - and the sostenuto is definitely a part of it.
Requires faculty cooperation. The faculty learns a lot, too, and they
tend to gain respect for the piano technician's knowledge in the
process.
	Trouble is, there is no way you can make the system work so that
there is no noise if the sostenuto pedal is released while the damper
pedal is engaged. So the only option is education - or accept the
reputation of not being able to solve the problem.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu