[CAUT] Sostenuto

Daniel Gurnee dgurnee at humboldt1.com
Tue Dec 30 14:58:29 PST 2008

Referencing my email (amended) of 12/28:

At HSU I treated both the old and the new sustenuto much the same and
find corroberation with Ed Sutton but with two reservations, set the
sustenuto a comfortable distance above damper pedal lift and below
full key dip and limit the rotation of the sus. rod/blade ( to
approximately 45° to 55°) to barely but positively catch the sus. tab
on the damper.)  Which in my experience at HSU worked on all S&S and
Mason & Hamlins  with either semi/rigid or pivoted tabs* being used
in serious piano work whether or not the pianist was that advanced.
I would find one in 40 including faculty who would complain about the
new as it came from the factory and recieved no complaints with the
old rigid tab type of adjustment  which did require a little more
care in the adjustment and maintenance.

Thanks for Ed Suttons contribution,

Dan Gurnee

*But for the extra care/work on the old style, I prefered that old
style partly because it could not operate with amature pedal work if
adjusted in the new style.

sustenuto adjustment:  (CAUT 12/28/08)

The new sustenuto pivoted/sprung tabs make adjustment easier than the
old semi rigid tabs which were adjusted so that the sustain pedal
would raise the tabs less than the key rise of the tabs so that:
When a damper is held up with the sustenuto and the sustain pedal is
pressed, the sustenuto tabs lifted by the sustain pedal do not reach
the sustenuto blade.  The sustenuto blade catches only the tab held
up by the key slightly but positively and misses the rest tabs
because they are not high enough even with damper pedal lift.

The blade should pivot no higher than 90° and sometimes less and on
return should miss the tabs lifted by the sustain pedal or gently
brush by them.

The key/damper lift is limited by the damper up stop and the
sustenuto will push the damper lever into the up stop felt.

Many pianos with the pivoted individual sustenuto tabs can be
misadjusted so that the sustenuto blade may (by reaching 90° or more )
have a time getting past the raised damper tabs.

The solution may be to first limit the pivot the pedal blade to 90°
or less and possibly move the blade in its entirety either way to a
little more than barely catch the damper sustenuto tabs.

Dan Gurnee RPT, HSU Retired