[CAUT] Sostenuto

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 30 10:53:45 PST 2008

Fred,

So, to hedge your bets, you would set the dampers to lift as early as
acceptable on the key, then set the damper pedal to stop lifting as low as
possible, i.e. make the difference as great as possible between key and
pedal lift. Then set the sostenuto to catch as high as possible, when the
key is fully depressed, and not very far in toward the belly rail. Thus,
hopefully minimizing the snapping tabs when the sostenuto is released, and
also minimizing the chance of accidentally catching all the tabs when the
damper pedal is depressed.

This would work, unless there is a requirement to catch all dampers with the
sostenuto when the damper pedal is pressed.

(Am I repeating something someone already wrote?)

Ed