[CAUT] Sostenuto

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 30 12:26:11 PST 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Someone asked on CAUT) if there was music that MUST be played in a
> manner that would force the piano into this situation. Is there? The
> first time I heard this in a piano it was a professor that had some
> piece that had very strict pedal markings, and sure enough, it
> seemed to be unavoidable. But I'm not a pianist like you so maybe I
> wasn't reading it correctly and, maybe the professor wasn't either.
> What say ye?
>
> Regards,
> Jim Busby

	Off hand I'd say not, or at least not much. In fact, there is not
that much music I have come across that specifies use of the
sostenuto, and, from what I am remembering, it usually isn't that much
of a problem. No doubt there are exceptions, and if you run across
one, or the piece you mention, I'd like to know and take a look.
Certainly there are composers who make what seem to be impossible
demands on both the instrument and the performer. Sometimes the
impossible turns out only to be difficult. Sometimes I remain
convinced it is impossible.
	OTOH, there is quite a lot of music that can benefit from use of the
sostenuto, to get more harmonic clarity. There are a lot of pieces
where there is a bass note that is specified as tied (held) over
several measures (bass note can't be held by a finger) while a lot of
varied activity requiring both hands takes place above, which
seemingly requires changes of pedal. So sostenuto is maybe implied,
even though not specifically called for. Alternately, one can do some
"flutter-half-pedaling" and get by. But it will sound more smeared,
and the fundamental (low bass note or octave usually) will become
weaker throughout the phrase.
	Usually in this kind of passage or piece, you want to maintain a
"wash" of sound, and clearing both pedals will interrupt it
unnaturally. So you have to wait to clear until you have played the
next "chord" (or whatever figuration), and then clear both and re-set
the sostenuto before the following note is played, which is often a
very fleeting moment. Ideally one would do a half-pedal on the damper
pedal while re-setting the sostenuto, then a full release. But it is
physically impossible.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico