[CAUT] lubing ponder

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 13:10:19 MDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Jeff Tanner <tannertuner at bellsouth.net>wrote:

>  Exactly. It's the seizing up that does the shrinking.
> Jeff

Exactly right, I use a 50/50 mix and my judgement, going by how tight they
were prior to starting, deciding whether to leave them overnight, a few days
or dry them after 20 minutes or so.
Examples, I had a Samick with slow jacks that spring stretching didn't cure,
I treated the bushings with a 70/30(customer's rubbing alcohol) using Q-tips
let them sit about 20 mins. Used their hair dryer to "cure" them and the
problem was solved.

Last month I had a 1970's Wurlitzer with jacks, hammers and whippens
hanging. I brought it back to the shop, treated all with a 50/50 solution
using a syringe and needle and let it sit to dry for a couple of days then
re-treated it and let it dry for a week.
 I returned it to the customer and no more hanging jacks or slow returning
hammers. I double treated it because it was a Wurlitzer of that vintage, at
the time it was made Wurlitzer was making their own actions, too tight as it
turned out. They were supplying their dealers with silicone to treat them.
The problem with silicone on wood is it migrates and the problem returns.
The added problem was that the word got out and non-Wurlitzer techs and
tooners began using silicone spray from the hardware and auto supply stores
which wasn't pure silicone like Wurlitzer had sent to it's dealers, so they
compounded the problems, in some cases sealing the wood. Which is why I
double treated and was careful to soak the felt and wood around it both
times.
Mike

email mike at ifixpianos.com