[CAUT] Sostenuto

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jan 5 08:18:18 PST 2009

Hi Jerry,
	Thanks for the follow up. Very interesting, not something I've ever
run into. When a rod is set too far in, in my own experience, tabs
will tend to catch on the round part of the rod and hang sporadically
(or consistently). This without any problem like what you describe. I
guess maybe it depends on the dimension of the blade compared to the
rod. Maybe Yamaha uses a wider blade than others (I have next to no
experience with the CFIII, beyond occasionally tuning one).
	In retrospect, it is obvious that your problem couldn't have been
caused by excess friction or by weak or disengaged spring, as both of
those conditions would have prevented a loud slap occurring, though
they might have explained the hang-up.
	I suppose that the sound of tabs passing the blade might not bother
some pianists, hence they wouldn't care enough to learn to do the fine-
tuned timing thing between sostenuto and damper pedal. In loud
passages, it wouldn't be too apparent, certainly not to an audience.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu