[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Jan 9 09:03:50 PST 2009

Alan:

I am particularly fond of the Thomas Young #1 temperament and that is what I always use for the harpsichords here.  It is very symmetrical and all keys are usable though when you’re in B, F# or Db  you’ll be aware that you are in a distant key.  It was published in 1799 so was surely in pretty wide use during Schubert’s time.  Try it, I think you’ll like it.  If you want to hear ET again, just play in Eb  or A.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu