[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jan 9 14:08:40 PST 2009

	Young or Valotti would certainly show off the differences in key
color. And Schubert liked "enharmonic modulation" so this can make it
particularly piquant.
	The historical question - what would be historically appropriate - is
a tough one. At a guess, one of Neidhardt's or Peter Prelleur's would
be more plausible. It isn't clear that Valotti's or Young's
temperaments were widely known and used (they vary only in being
offset by a 5th from one another). And they were Italian and English,
respectively, so one might expect them to be more regional in nature
(their publication wasn't widely disseminated to the best of my
knowledge). What actual piano tuners (or pianists tuning their own)
were doing is really anyone's guess. They probably learned from others
and didn't read the theoretical treatises.
	Another possibility is the Lehman Bach temperament, which would be
less pungent but still provide key color. Or Broadwood's Best #4. Or
one of Jim Coleman's (though that obviously wouldn't be strictly
"historically accurate" though his temperaments are generally in
accordance with the same principles).
	BTW, for an interesting article on temperament, dealing with Valotti
and Young, see http://music.case.edu/duffin/Vallotti/default.html
which has the article Why I hate Valotti (or is it Young?) by Ross
Duffin, director of early music at Case Western. His bias is towards
1/6 comma meantone, and he is writing from the point of view of
ensemble and Baroque, so it doesn't apply directly. Still, some
interesting background. And it goes into why it might be more
difficult for other instrumentalists to play in tune with Valotti or
Young - quite interesting, especially with respect to the fingerboards
of strings. He has also published a book recently, How Equal
Temperament Ruined Harmony, published by Norton. Aimed at a general
audience, but it has some useful technical details and explains the
whole issue of temperament very clearly.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu