[CAUT] ET and atonal

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jan 17 19:12:53 PST 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 10:35 AM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:

> (and the intriguing connection he makes between the symmetrical--
> and, therefore, non-tonal nature--of ET and concurrent developments
> in atonal music)

	Here is another "truism" seemingly accepted by all (certainly stated
often in Jorgensen): that ET is necessary for "atonal" music, which is
usually intended to include Debussy and his ilk, music which is
written with other than 18th century functional harmony. There has
been a school of thought, again stated very precisely in Jorgensen,
that claims that the perfection of ET that became possible in the 20th
century is essential for this atonal music.
	Is it? Personally I am not so sure. I have stated before on several
occasions that I believe there is a very wide range of tuning that
will be perceived by virtually everybody, in musical context, as ET. I
do not find that "atonal" (in the broad sense described above, or in
the 12-tone serial sense) sounds in the least bit "strange/different"
when played on a mild WT. Maybe my hearing isn't very acute, sensitive
to that sort of thing.
	I have finally completed production of a CD in which I played all
Villa-Lobos on a piano tuned in Moore and in ET. I did the original
takes when the piano happened to be tuned in Moore. I did retakes of
about half the tracks a month or so later, when the same piano was
tuned to ET. The tracks are random as to temperament (there is no
particular pattern to which tracks I did retakes on). The VIlla-Lobos
pieces use a lot of "coloristic harmony," where vertical sonorities
are chosen for color rather than for function. There are sections that
are more or less functional harmony as well.
	UPS says the actual CDs will show up first of next week. I'll be
putting it on CD Baby shortly thereafter, and they will do 2 minute or
so excerpts of each track for customers to sample. I will let you know
when this has happened, and then anyone who wishes can go to the site
and listen, and see if you can hear a difference. (I will also send a
CD on request). Personally, I cannot hear the difference. Blush. Just
don't have the hearing chops I guess. I would very much like to know
if other people can. I haven't found anyone who can yet, but I haven't
managed to persuade all that many to listen closely and tell me.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu