[CAUT] ET and atonal

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Sun Jan 18 08:13:29 PST 2009

Hi-

Interesting discussion. There is no way everybody is going to agree on this
subject so that is why I decided years ago not to talk about my personal
style so much anymore, unless asked....   but just do it.  I've always
smiled at how curiously parallel it is that ET became perfected and
established at precisely the same time that tonality was breaking down and
atonal ideas came to life. It was a whole new era and the Sciences were
really taking off. There would be fertile study for the right graduate
student to try and relate the democracy of atonality with the inhumanity
associated with much of that music. One of my little secrets is that a long
time ago we had a last minute guest artist who came with an entire concert
of Roger Sessions.  I already had the piano ready in my usual
Victorian/Young style. Of course everything went marvellously well.

The significance of a thing is not necessarily diminished by the number of
people who understand and appreciate it.

carry on,

Dennis Johnson