[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 18 05:38:04 PST 2009

Israel and Fred-

Thank you!

For a long time I've been struggling to put my thoughts and feelings about
temperaments into words.

I am so bored with the search for the one-and-only authoritative way to
perform a piece of music. Why must we assume that Bach or Schubert tuned
their instruments exactly the same way every time they tuned, even when they
performed the same piece? We just don't know, but considering the genius
evident in their available works, we would be foolish to assume they were
not extremely sensitive to subtle tuning differences when they chose to be,
and used them in clever ways. Did Bach intend a go-to-sleep meantone tuning
for the Goldberg Variations?

Performances of music--even bad performances--are very innocent. These are
not life threatening questions. It's o.k. to be playful about temperaments,
and not dogmatic.

I've been following early music studies and practice since the 1960's, and
feel this area of study has given much to contemporary music life, including
a great willingness to take the score as the starting point of an adventure.
I note that people such as Paul Poletti are reconsidering their
understandings of 18th century temperament instructions, and look forward to
their new thoughts.

Curiousity, flexibility and a humble desire to serve the people who go on
the stage are good qualities for a tuner to practice.

Meanwhile, I can't decide which is the one-and-only way to tune my piano. I
must have a character disorder...

Ed Sutton

Israel wrote:

And I'll repeat again that, though I might quibble over some of the
details, I still find Fred's approach to the issues of temperament the
most refreshingly plausible approach that I've encountered in a long
time in it's lack of dogmatism - whether of "historical" or
"contemporary" nature.

Israel Stein