[CAUT] Speaking of Bach (was: temperament for Schubert)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 13:22:11 PST 2009

>> I have again and again been by the amazed reaction of today's
>> musicians who are struck by the beauty of meantone triads -
>> admittedly, not on the piano - when first exposed to them.)
>>

> 	In fact, the "meantone triad" is quite common in non-fixed pitch
> ensemble playing. At least, it is aimed at. I have had lengthy
> discussions with a few band directors on the subject of intonation,
> how they conceive of it and what they actually do. There seems to be
> consensus that, at least in slow passages, players are expected to
> know which note of the chord they are playing, and if it is the third,
> they are to adjust it until it is "just" (beatless) to the root and
> fifth (M3 move down, m3 move up). String faculty say the same thing.
> "Movable Just" is the predominant aim of most non-fixed pitch
> ensembles: all intervals beatless. As to how well it is achieved, that
> varies a lot.

Don't forget, Fred, that in modern playing, the full affect of the
"pure" triad (even when achieved) is masked by that infernal perpetual
vibrato. So when exposed to, say, a professional viol consort (Fretwork)
or Renaissance violin band (King's Noyse) who actually do hit and hold
those triads and don't slather vibrato all over them - the effect can be
of startling beauty to the modern musician (at least one with a good
sense of intonation).  Yes, I had clients (professional musicians) back
in Boston who couldn't stop raving about that wonderful sound - and were
quite disappointed to find out that it won't work quite that way on
their pianos... But now we are getting really far afield...

Israel Stein