[CAUT] Speaking of Bach (was: temperament for Schubert)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jan 19 16:16:45 PST 2009

Hi Ed,
	Anita Sullivan wrote a letter that was published in PTJ expressing
that thought, or actually a more extreme version, with Bach switching
MT centers for each piece. I think it is erroneous. There is ample
evidence that JS Bach strongly favored and advocated for circulating
temperament. His compositional style demands it. Though his suites and
other various multi-movement works were in a single key, this was a
reflection of the time: everyone did it that way. It was part of the
aesthetic, having to do with the "humors" (one of the words used) as
in choleric, phlegmatic, etc. In music one was supposed to do just one
at a time. (Medicine was based on the same theory, with the various
liquids of the body connected to this.)
	In any event, Bach, like Schubert later, loved to move around A LOT
in key, within individual pieces, often to very remote keys (compared
to most other composers of his time). Check out his b minor flute
sonata for some of the extremes. This became a real problem when
playing organs, whose tuning was not easily adjusted. Most organs were
(had been) mean tone, and at least one of Werckmeister's tunings was a
quick way to change from MT to a tolerable circulating temperament,
but changing the tuning of only a couple pipes per rank.
	The anecdote has him tuning not before every piece, but once a day.
Very quickly. Surely he didn't decide, "Today's the day for E minor"
and completely adjust his instrument for that. In any case, I can't
digest the notion, and I think you will find that scholars of tuning
are unanimous in saying that Bach was a WT guy, not a MT guy, though
they fight to the death about the details. The whole purpose of WT is
that, as CPE wrote, "All keys are equally good." Why would you do a
variable WT? Doesn't make any sense to me.
	BTW, I have raised the question of "variable MT" (ie, changing it for
different keys) with performance practice folks, and the response I
have got is that there is no evidence that anyone did other than one
version of MT, with G# rather than A flat I believe. FWIW. Lack of
evidence doesn't disprove, but it is suggestive that nobody mentions
re-tuning for a new key.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico