[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jan 23 11:59:51 PST 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 10:37 AM, A440A at aol.com wrote:
>> The highest standard of unison tuning is by
>> no means common, and it is quite possible that your tuning would
>> stand
>> out in the experience of the violinist in this regard. ,snip>
>>
>    umm,  I dont' think I'm that good.  This particular violinist
> plays all over the world, his accompanyist is head of the piano
> dept. at the Royal Academy of Scotland, and I am going to assume
> they have experience with the best tuners there are, out there.  I
> think it was something else.

Don't sell yourself short. Anyone who cut his teeth in recording
studios and stayed there has learned the art of the clean, stable
unison. The obsession needed to meet the demands there is above and
beyond what is typically required in the concert hall, even the most
prestigious. And, of course, there is the widespread prejudice against
use of ETDs, which has the effect of making the task that much more
difficult (particularly that of honing in on every single last unison,
no matter what).

>> harpsichord), that is another question, and it may be that the level
>> of precision is low enough that it doesn't really matter. I suspect
>> this is the case. But in any event, one fixed pitch is the same as
>> another in being an artificial fixed target from the point of view of
>> the flexible pitch instrument. None will match what the flexible
>> pitch
>> instrument would do in other contexts. ET has the benefit of being
>> very predictable and familiar, whatever its other sins <G>
>
>   I have a idea that what the violinist was actually referring to
> comes from the Coleman tuning providing a tonal center, and once his
> ear recognized the landscape,(harmonoscape?), the distances and
> widths of intevals became his landmarks.

	Well, I won't say this is out of the question. But I am very
skeptical. My talks with players of unfretted strings, particularly
our violin prof, together with reading pedagogical material about
intonation for strings, leads me to believe that this is a very
nebulous field. The development of the ear and concomitant finger
placement is a BIG focus of string players and teachers, for obvious
reasons. There are several problems that must be addressed
simultaneously. Briefly, there are the strings themselves (tuned at
fifths apart, usually just but in any case a fixed point). Any G on
any string must reference the G string and same for the other fixed
pitches; There is a tendency toward melodic leading, where sharps used
as leading tones are raised a bit, flats lowered a bit (especially in
Neapolitan 6th chord where it leads downward); there is a use of just
intervals when playing double stops, but with reference to the
strings' tunings; there is a blending with other players in ensemble.
All of this without reference to a fixed pitch instrument like the
piano.
	When the piano enters the picture, we have a completely new problem,
or so my informants tell me. It is one that is spoken of with a
grimace. Nothing works, regardless. One can match pitch of a unison
when that occurs, but it will be "out of tune" in other contexts. If
one plays a just third to a tonic, it will be out of tune with the
third of the piano.  Essentially, one simply "does one's best and
calls it good enough," as a simple way of summing up what I have been
told. I don't see how either a mild or a pungent WT would
significantly change the situation. When I have asked, I have been
told no.
	All that said, I don't dismiss out of hand the notion of an intuitive
response to a sonic landscape. I just don't think that the mechanics
and details corroborate the notion that it is easier to play in tune
with a piano at WT instead of ET, whatever that actually means
(playing in tune with a piano).

>    I am going to continue with this via the string faculty here, but
> I do know that it is very easy to scare them with talk of
> technically measuring intonation. They often don't really know why
> they play non-just intervals when the score increases tension,(and
> often dynamic level), but they usually know exactly why they strive
> for Just intonation in ensemble playing of music that is calm and
> serene.

I would be very interested in hearing what they have to say. The calm
and serene thing, I think has to do with time. Sustained intervals
give enough time to get them aligned justly. And it is very noticeable
if they are not. Do you actually have evidence of "non-just intervals
when the score increases tension"?

>    I have nothing to be dogmatic about with any of this, just
> investigating what happens when I manage to get the barriers of
> status quo lowered a little bit. Universities are supposed to be
> places to explore, it is a shame that so many members of academia
> get fossilized in place, rigid in outlook, and reduced to protecting
> their history, even if it means turning a deaf ear to new
> concepts.   Shucks, life is short, I don't wanna do the same thing
> over and over and over, at least 'til I have tried as much new stuff
> as possible.

No argument here. Likewise. My one quibble is in wanting us as cauts
to be in sync with musicological scholarship. Owen Jorgensen
contributed a lot to our profession, but several of his conclusions
and methodologies are very questionable, as confirmed by Claudio di
Veroli in his recent post (forwarded by Kent). If we are posing as
experts on historical tuning, we need to have a solid basis for our
opinions, and know where they fit in the spectrum of current scholarly
thought. Unfortunately, it is difficult to come by this knowledge.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu