[CAUT] temperament for Schubert

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Jan 23 14:46:03 PST 2009

Fred:

Don't sell the violinists short on pitch perception.  The Concert Master of the Dallas Symphony did 3 days of recording in our recital hall over winter break.  He was telling me that as he gets older and his pitch perception gets even better he gets very frustrated with his own playing.  He did finish his session in the 3 days, but he had reserved 6 days because he wanted it perfect.

He sat down at the piano before he started the first day and noticed how the speed of the beats of an F4-A4 M3rd changed as the notes faded away.  That small pitch change of the die-away was noticeable to him.

He called me at home to thank me for the nice piano when he finished.  It was the Nossaman D+ that we had done last summer.  It really is awesome.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>