[CAUT] Schubert and Equal Temperament

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Jan 24 05:34:48 PST 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Kent Swafford wrote:

> This is not a matter of opinion: it has been thoroughly investigated
> by the
> best scholars on temperament (such as Prof. Barbieri), unearthing
> thousands
> of documents on the matter which, albeit in scattered books and
> papers,
> fully depict the progress of E.T. country by country c.1750-1900.

	I did a little digging and found that Patrizio Barbieri did the
article on temperament in the Encyclopedia of the Piano, pulibshed by
Routledge, Palmieri editor. We have a copy on our reference shelf, so
maybe it is fairly common in university libraries. An excellent
account of the history of temperament and tuning during the time of
the piano, with sections that go historically through each region of
Europe (German, French, English, Italian). Enough detail to give a
very good overview - eight pages in all. This is something I have
wanted to have available for a long time, and there it was!

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu