[CAUT] Claudio Di Veroli & Equal Temperament

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:56:53 PST 2009

One can choose to offer your services in any way you see fit.  However, if
you aspire to bill yourself as a "master" tuner I strongly believe this
implies a working knowledge of every aspect of the craft, by definition.
Knowledge required to become a master craftsman of any profession requires
background education not necessarily used every day.  Historical tuning
techniques are becoming standard procedure in more caut environments all the
time.  It is beyond me how any serious tech could argue that this is
.."beyond the scope of reality of expectation".....   My customers (and
faculty) have come to expect that, just as we expect them to be
knowledgeable in their areas.  Being informed and capable also implies the
wisdom and modesty to know your limits.  This is good thing, and good for
our profession.  The reality is... that it is our call.  Make it count.

Jeff wrote:

... "it is completely beyond the scope of reality of expectation to impose
that piano
tuners should be expected to be experts in the realm of temperament history
as it relates to musical composition.  It simply isn't our call. "

cheers,

Dennis Johnson