[CAUT] Wire gauge question

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 29 10:27:36 PST 2009

Metric...European pianos are the same...I posted an email, to no response, about changing a string in the tenor on a Hamburg D.   Hamburgs use Roseau piano wire, so I bought 17.5 and 18 sizes from Schaff.  The string in question shared 2 unisons.  Piano said 18.   My micrometer said 17.5   My Schaff Roseau wire said 18 and was 18(American).   I used the American labeled Schaff 17.5 Roseau wire where the piano said 18, of course.   Why wouldn't the Roseau wire be labeled as 18 metric?   You have to always mic the wire...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044