[CAUT] Wire gauge question

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 30 07:04:19 PST 2009

An added complication is that piano wire often thins after being repeatedly
stretched, or under tension. I frequently find even on U.S.- made pianos
that when I am mic'ing the wires to measure the sizes for restringing, that
the wire is frequently under by .005" or even .001" from the wire sizes
marked or from what I expect to see.

It seems sometimes as if this may be less pronounced on newer pianos that
haven't been tuned or played much, and more pronounced on older ones that
have been tuned many times and played hard, or that have never been restrung
for many many years.

(In addition, I don't think the wire they often used to string pianos at the
factory (or subsequently) was always exact or of the highest tolerance to
begin with.) German wire seems to be more consistent, but even there, there
are exceptions.

I think all these factors need to be taken into consideration.

Another complication is that the factory or previous stringer may have lost
track of string sizes, or missed a size change.  This is most apparent when
you encounter a size change within a unison, or when one size seems to go on
far longer than it should (except apparently for size 17 wire!).

It's often difficult pinpointing the exact reason for unexpected wire sizes.

But yes, the German wire diameters do run somewhat smaller than the U.S.
wire sizes, for any given wire number.

For example, my Renner catalog lists #14 German (Roslau) wire as .825
millimeter, which corresponds to .032480" or roughly 32.5 thousandths on the
micrometer, which is in-between a U.S. size 14 and a 13 1/2. Thinning of the
wire, or poor wire tolerances, might make the wire look even smaller: -more
like a size 13.5 U.S. (or even a size 13 in some cases). The difference
becomes more pronounced at larger wire sizes. A number 20 Roslau wire is
listed as 1.125 mm or .044291" (roughly 44.3 thousandths on the micrometer).
For comparison, a U.S. size 20 wire is supposed to be 45 thousandths of an
inch (.045").

Somewhere someone had posted a chart of the differences in German and U.S.
wire sizes. If I remember where I saw it, I will post it, or a link to it.
But if you have a Renner catalog you can look up the measurements of German
wire.

I think it was Ron Nossaman who hinted once that he felt the U.S. piano
supply companies might be "translating" the sizes of German and Japanese
metric tuning pins and wire to U.S. sizes, because of this very issue.

But I think you are right David, to use the size 17.5 instead of the size 18
(unless the wire has really thinned under tension.) When restringing
Japanese or German pianos, you really have to rely on the micrometer instead
of the marked numbers.

(P.S. One added headache is that there doesn't seem to be any uniform system
for marking the wire numbers on the plate or the bridge. Some piano makers
stamp the numbers so as to indicate a size change to the left, others to
indicate a size change to the right, apparently depending on which direction
the piano was being strung. And not all pianos start with size 13 wire in
the high treble, or size 20 at the bottom of the plain wire sections.)

Kendall Ross Bean
PianoFinders