[CAUT] Claudio Di Veroli & Equal Temperament

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 30 10:53:46 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Israel Stein" <custos3 at comcast.net>

> Actually, the exact opposite is true. CAUTs will never be able to convince
> anyone that the are professionals, experts, etc. deserving of higher pay
> and higher status if the remain "one-trick" ponies, doing the same thing
> over and over again. Rising professional status goes hand-in-hand with
> expanding one's knowledge base, variety of services offered and ability to
> knowledgeably discuss the options available - and offer advice.

Israel, what I learned about this has been that increasing knowledge, skills
and abilities might result in some higher level of respect, but in the
employment system currently in place, there is no return on that investment
beyond simple admiration.  One who is willing to pursue expanding his/her
skills base should be prepared to learn that that will simply result in
higher and higher expectations, with no guarantee of that translating into
higher earnings.

> What I see above is the usual conceit of - well, I'll omit the adjectives.
> "My solution is the best possible solution". Or the conceit could be
> generational "We are the peak of development and what we do is the best
> possible approach to..." The basic idea behind this conceit is that things
> have now reached their peak - and will stay the same forever.

No, Israel, not at all.  My concern is that tuners begin to promote
themselves in the area of historical application of temperament knowledge,
when there obviously is no consensus on the matter among the academic
community.  That is completely separate from having the ability to perform
or execute a tuning when requested, which I do not in any way oppose.  I am
struggling to put into words what I am trying to convey.  Someone posted
about having introduced their faculty to the idea of historical
temperaments, and that was the genesis of interest among that faculty.  That
is lighting a spark, in my opinion, that we might wish we had never lit,
lest the fire get out of control and we be blamed later for being incorrect.

Several years ago I attempted to be that spark at our university.
Thankfully, my interest was quickly thwarted by the faculty.  "Stick to
equal," was what I was told.  "We assumed it [the fortepiano] hadn't been
tuned," after I'd gone over it at least 4 times just before they came in to
rehearse.  I had consulted our faculty member who would have been the most
informed on the subject, about which temperament would have been appropriate
for the Hadyn piece they were rehearsing.  His area was historical
keyboards - harpsichord, fortepiano, clavichord, celeste, etc.  But even he
couldn't tell you which temperament would have been appropriate, and his
knowledge was limited.  He basically tuned "equal", or something close, when
he tuned, but temperament just wasn't a big thing for him.  At pitch, with
good octaves and unisons seemed to be all he considered important.  He did
occasionally do a presentation for a class demonstrating the difference in
temperaments, but the Baldwin SF was in roughly equal and the harpsichord
was probably tuned in something harsh like Valotti/Young (which, according
to what has been recently posted doesn't seem to have enjoyed widespread
use).  There wasn't really time to do a good demonstration with only
fortepianos and harpsichords because time in the room was so limited.

Dennis Johnson posted about billing oneself as a "master tuner" and becoming
informed on the subject.  What I am saying is that it is impossible to
become ACCURATELY informed on the subject of historical appropriateness of
temperament.  And by promoting something erroneously, that makes us more
incompetent than competent.  From what I am reading and have read, very
little evidence exists on the subject of the application of different tuning
systems. All anyone can really do is guess at what was actually being done.
Expecting the piano tuner to be an expert in the subject of historical
appropriateness of tuning systems is expecting something that is apparently
not possible.  We must be careful that we do not erroneously recreate
history by pretending to know which temperament Beethoven would have had on
his piano when he composed the Moonlight Sonata, for example.  We don't.  No
one does.  And we can't find out.  We can only speculate.  (I actually
imagine his fortepiano being out of tune more often than not, more like a
practice room piano, and the composition happening inside his head,
regardless of what he was hearing on the instrument.  Due to the climactic
instability of housing of the period, whatever temperaments would have been
used likely wouldn't have remain clean enough to be able to identify more
than an hour or so without needing to be retuned.)  So, billing oneself as a
"Master Tuner" involves just as much yielding to the reality that we can't
possibly know everything as it does trying to pretend we can.

Being able to perform something at a customer's request is entirely
different.  But promoting the implementation of historical appropriateness
of temperaments is beyond the scope of the training of the piano
technician -- particularly at the level of compensation CAUTs receive.

Jeff