[CAUT] Claudio Di Veroli & Equal Temperament (rwest1 at unl.edu)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 31 19:58:23 PST 2009

Richard,

I applaud your approach. I think that we are all too much affected by
the almost anal precision that has become associated with Equal
Temperament tuning, which is after all a strictly mathematical concept,
not based on any acoustical phenomenon, but rather on the square root of
twelve - which is a fictitious number that cannot be expressed by a
ratio (which, after all is what forms intervals). Well temperaments do
not require the same sort of mathematical  precision - they are after
all calculated to achieve a specific aural effect of perhaps
differentiating between keys and perhaps (in the earlier ones) creating
a more "leading" affect in leading tones.  Scientifically and
mathematically inclined persons attempt to express these tuning systems
in mathematical terms, and designers and marketers of tuning devices
attempt to express them in terms that work on their machines. But the
bottom line is, if you know what it is supposed to sound like, and you
know the technique of achieving it, then you can do it - regardless of
whatever mathematical or technological terms have been devised to
express it or how closely your results accord with them.

Are you familiar with the brochure on how to tune various temperaments
using equal-beating intervals?(I believe it's Jorgensen's..) It involves
some retuning of previously tuned intervals to avoid counting beats, but
the result is the affect that the given temperament is supposed to achieve.

It would help to remember that published temperaments (e.g. Werkmeister,
Kirnberger and such) are attempts to describe actual practices by
myriads of musicians - each with their own "wrinkles" - which probably
precede their publication by decades if not centuries - and are not to
be confused with an authoritative prescription. They are just one
person's interpretation of what many others have been doing for a long
time. So the final arbiter has to be one's own ear rather than a set of
numbers...

Israel Stein