[CAUT] Original SD-10 Key Height

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 4 13:47:59 MDT 2009

I've see two Baldwins (SF and SD) in which the string height from keybed was
too low. The instruments were built with standard bore hammers, and the
action jimmied around to "work." This appeared to be factory adjustments.

I'd suggest beginning with the strike line height, then working down through
the action. If strike line height minus hammer flange pin height do not
equal the hammer bore distance, you have a problem to resolve. If that
dimension is o.k., go ahead and make some sample notes work comfortably.

The locations of the strings and the keybed are the most difficult
parameters to change! Might as well consider them "given."

Ed Sutton