[CAUT] Wandering Hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 10 16:29:00 MDT 2009

One scenario is that the screws are creating a bulge of wood, yes, by
bottoming. The rail is hard wood. The tip of the screw tries to
penetrate beyond what was originally drilled, but the forces are such
that what happens instead is that the screw pushes wood up the
threads, so to speak. The compression resistance of the wood at the
bottom of the hole is greater than the ability of the wood contacting
the threads to press the tip through. Something has to give, and what
gives is the wood in contact with the threads. So you get just a
little bulge right around the screw, and the flange is tight there but
looser everywhere else.
	Don Mannino's suggestion of two strips of sandpaper, one in front and
one behind the screw, is a good one, and would address the possibility
I describe. I think the stuff Yamaha uses is nice (a strip on an
aluminum rail). Seems like about 80 grit, but a red amalgam rather
than aluminum oxide or garnet, like the stuff on sandpaper discs for
disc sanders and the like. With the papers that have individual grits
glued to the backing, some of the grits (bits of sand) can come loose
and walk around, and make for less stability. The amalgam stuff (if
that is the right term for it) seems thicker and more stable. If you
have thicker paper, you will also probably eliminate the tip of the
screw bottoming, so you won't be continuing to deteriorate the
integrity of the wood threads (this kind of scenario leads to stripped
holes).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico