[CAUT] large flat-head screws, was: Wandering Hammers

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 14 12:12:39 MDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Susan Kline <skline at peak.org> wrote:

> I need some of the large size fasteners for an old Gulbransen grand missing
> a leg screw and a lyre screw -- and I think two of the screws on there may
> be mis-sized replacements.
>
> Schaff says to phone for availability and price, so perhaps they don't have
> a complete inventory anymore? I'm thinking of laying in a supply of sizes 16
> to about 20, in varying lengths, just so that if this comes up again I have
> something to reach for. The hardware stores around here all stop at size 14.
>

> You can go years and years without needing oversized fasteners, but
> sometimes all at once without warning nothing else will do. Does anybody
> have any favorite online sources?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Susan Kline
> OSU, Newport Arts Center
>
> P.S. Wandering hammers -- good advice all round. I wouldn't stop with the
> strips of sandpaper, I'd add lockwashers as several have suggested. Then the
> bottoming wouldn't be a problem, and there'd be some leeway in case humidity
> changes tend to loosen the screws. In fact, if the lockwashers were
> installed in the damp season, then they'd maintain tightness through the dry
> season without letting the wood fibers be crushed when the humidity rose
> again. I'm assuming a strong weather shift ... we're getting more of that
> than we used to in Oregon -- summer rains, wasn't our style until three
> years ago, has been since then.
>
> At 03:40 PM 7/10/2009, you wrote:
>
> >Then I'll remove the sandpaper and try the 2 strip approach.? What grit
> would someone suggest?
>
> I get rolls of sandpaper from Klingspor.
> www.woodworkingshop.com
>
> For flat hammer rails:
> item # AR20268:  220 grit, F weight paper
>
> For S&S rails:
> item # SR98760: 320 grit on cloth
> double sided tape to adhere to moulded rail is available at a hardware
> store as 1/2" window plastic mounting tape.
>
> Washers I use for S&S hammer flanges: Part Number:  98017A624
> http://www.mcmaster.com/#98017a624/=2ou8qk
>

> With the abrasive rolls, I cut long strips, I don't like seams.
>
> Use a small drill bit and make the pilot hole a little deeper to insure
> full insertion as Marcel mentioned. Washers too.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

 Hi Susan,

Another "source" of those large screws is old plate screws. Whenever I have
had to bolt through a piano with a back separation, I save the screwsI
removed. I now have a large supply of various length flathead screws both
slotted and phillips drive.

I bought several rolls of heavy grit (60 and 80) 1" and 1&1/2" from Grizzly
years ago for a very low price. They were quite long, 50 feet(?) and I still
have a good supply. I seperate the strips to either side of the screw holes
and glue them in with hide glue.
I have used spring washers under flange screws as I've seen some of the
Asian makers do and had good results. I also replace the screws with the
Schaff #1548 when I replace flanges with aftermarket parts on non S&S
grands. I've found the countersink in the flange isn't as deep and I have
had old screws break off, for the small price, less than $4 for 100
replacement screws is well worth it.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404