[CAUT] large flat-head screws, was: Wandering Hammers

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Jul 14 10:23:21 MDT 2009

I need some of the large size fasteners for an old Gulbransen grand
missing a leg screw and a lyre screw -- and I think two of the screws
on there may be mis-sized replacements.

Schaff says to phone for availability and price, so perhaps they
don't have a complete inventory anymore? I'm thinking of laying in a
supply of sizes 16 to about 20, in varying lengths, just so that if
this comes up again I have something to reach for. The hardware
stores around here all stop at size 14.

You can go years and years without needing oversized fasteners, but
sometimes all at once without warning nothing else will do. Does
anybody have any favorite online sources?

thanks in advance

Susan Kline
OSU, Newport Arts Center

P.S. Wandering hammers -- good advice all round. I wouldn't stop with
the strips of sandpaper, I'd add lockwashers as several have
suggested. Then the bottoming wouldn't be a problem, and there'd be
some leeway in case humidity changes tend to loosen the screws. In
fact, if the lockwashers were installed in the damp season, then
they'd maintain tightness through the dry season without letting the
wood fibers be crushed when the humidity rose again. I'm assuming a
strong weather shift ... we're getting more of that than we used to
in Oregon -- summer rains, wasn't our style until three years ago,
has been since then.