[CAUT] Vertical hammer installation

Mccoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Thu Jul 16 15:34:02 MDT 2009

Hi Dan,

The strike point on the string is really the important thing. If your hammer line results in hitting the string at the right place, that is what you want, right? So why is the strike line on the new set higher than the old set? Are the new hammers not bored as deeply as the old ones?

BTW, the hammers on Steinway verticals are often not hung at 90 degrees to the shank (like maybe 87 degrees), and they are also often hung at the factory so that they overstrike.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy at ewu.edu