[CAUT] Kawai GS60 Bore distance

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jul 21 10:58:31 MDT 2009

Bob Hull wrote:
> 1.  I'm putting a new set of hammers on a Kawai grand.  I'm
> measuring 130 mm on hammer bore distance for this Kawai
> GS60 - does this match their specs?
>
> 2.  Typically, how strong are Kawai soundboards?  Aren't
> they CC?  I'm hoping these new hammers will help sustain
> return somewhat - I have tried voicing and shaping to
> practically no avail.  These have already been shaped a
> couple of times at least anyway so they're getting down
> there.  It's had about 13 years of very heavy usage. I will
> measure downbearing later today.  Mainly from about Bb 4 up
> through octave 5, maybe some of 6 are lacking in sustain
> quite a bit.
>
> Bob Hull

What David Love said. But first try lifting and leveling
strings at the capo. If none of this works, don't waste new
hammers on a dead soundboard.

Kawai boards are, depending on who you talk to, rib crowned
but largely panel compression supported. In this case, I
expect the soundboard is the likely problem.
Ron N