[CAUT] piano storage room

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jul 27 15:02:13 MDT 2009

On Jul 27, 2009, at 2:13 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> List,
>
> Stanford is in the planning stages of a new concert hall and I had a
> query about what I might need/want in the piano storage room.   I am
> thinking shop facilities would be nice...at least a bench and
> natural light...anyone have any other ideas?   We will have 4 brand
> new concert grands... '-]
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA 94044
	Wow, what a nice question to be asked! New building?
	One very practical thing: doors from storage to hall significantly
wider than a piano, with bumpers installed at a bit below lid level
(my bumpers are 2 x 6 wood covered with carpet. They keep the lid from
becoming scraped - well, becoming scraped while moving through the
doorway). It would be very nice to have pretty good sound isolation,
so you could tune at the same time as rehearsals (I'm a dreamer). That
would probably require a double set of doors, meaning one set would
open into the storage space, reducing usable area, unless you had a
sliding set.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel