[CAUT] Wieckert felt?

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Jul 27 15:31:49 MDT 2009

Fred:

I hope Dale Erwin will chime in here at some point as he knows far more about these than I do.  Last Christmas I hung a set of Weikert felt hammers that I got from Ray Negron at Ronsen.  They were soft (softer than I usually like) and I had to dope them twice to get enough sound out of a B that is in a small teaching studio.  They were softer than the Steinway hammers on the B next to it and the Steinway hammers had not been doped.  After two applications of keytop they came out really nice but they were way past mellow out of the box.

This summer I was going to replace the hammers on a piano in another piano professor's studio who particularly likes a very mellow piano so I talked to Ray about getting another set.  He told me that the last Weikert felt he had received was so soft that he sent it back.  I went with a set of the Wurzen felt for that set.

The Wiekert felt is still listed on Ray's price list so I'm not sure that the "exclusive" deal with Renner is factual.  Of course I only catch up with this stuff when I need to order a set of hammers so I'm not an authority on who's selling what.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>