[CAUT] Wieckert felt?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jul 27 16:03:23 MDT 2009

Well, maybe there is some additional verbiage involved. Maybe it is
something along the lines of "Weickert special something or other."
OTOH, I did ask Norbert Abel a direct question (Will you be using
Weickert felt?) and thought the answer was as I described, that this
was a Renner deal, though he said Abel did use some felt from Wurzen
(they buy felt from a number of suppliers).
	As for what a hammer manufacturer does to the felt, what shape it is
cut, how hard it is pressed and so forth, that is another question
also. I am impressed by the processing of the felt itself, as
described and from the samples that were presented to us, and by my
experience with Abel Natural hammers and the Renner Weickert as
installed in a piano (I haven't used Ronsen for a long time - all the
sets I ever got or worked with were far too soft as a starting point).
	The Renner Weickerts in the Ravenscroft were definitely not soft
hammers. They had plenty of power. (My taste tends toward wanting a
bright piano). Michael Spreeman told me he had done nothing but pre-
voice and shape. Watching him stick some needles in hammers in the
voicing class (pressing them in, not jabbing), it was obvious that
there was effort involved. And it was obvious that a few strokes made
a difference (he had left a few hammers that weren't pre-voiced, and
did deep shoulder, 5 or so strokes per low to mid shoulder, in the
class). I played a piece at the end of the class, so I actually played
those hammers in relative quiet (not just in the exhibit hall). They
needed some additional work to get more on the bottom end
(pianissimo), but were quite adequate for concerto or whatever.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel