[CAUT] picking out a new concert grand

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 28 10:17:52 MDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 9:02 AM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> Ah...but then I don't get a trip to Europe... '-]

	I'm all for the trip to Europe <G>. But there is a lot to be said for
the folks making the decision hearing the instruments in the hall and
being able to compare side by side, perhaps with familiar existing
instruments. Thinking of the politics and the long term happiness with
the decisions.
	From a logistical standpoint, by all means go to London or Hamburg to
pick (or not) a Hamburg S&S. But for Steingraeber and/or Sauter,
getting the selection committee to go to Bayreuth and/or Spaichingen
to look at one or maybe two of each, that might be a stretch.
	For long term European trips, consider that you will need training in
each of the factories, two or three weeks each <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel