[CAUT] professor tuning variables

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Mar 2 13:05:12 PST 2009

While I agree in principle that one can spread oneself to thin.... I
hardly see that learning a bit about UET and a bit of relevant music
history is tantamount to stretching oneself too thin. Its just not that
much work.  I have no problem with anyone simply not being interested
themselves. But lets not try and justify a clear and simple matter of
preference with attempts at objective reasoning justify these.  Hey...
its cool to just say "UET's are not my bag"

Cheers
RicB

    Jeff,

    I agree with what  you said. There are too many times when a
    technician wants to delve into so many different things that,
    instead of being able to perfect the skills that are needed, they
    can compromise these skills by being a jack of all trades. While I
    fine nothing wrong with wanting to broaden one's horizons, you can
    get to a point of diminishing a needed skill in one area just for
    the sake of saying that you can now do something else that you never
    did before and in the long run it does not amount to a hill of
    beans. If you and many others are like me, you have a tough time
    trying to keep things as good as they should and need to be let
    alone trying to go after something that you might use once in your
    life if even then.

    God bless

    Bill Balmer, RPT
    Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay