[CAUT] professor tuning variables

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 4 07:32:42 PST 2009

Hi Ric,
We already know "a bit about UET and a bit of relevant music history."  But
neither we nor anyone else on the planet know enough about the two to make a
claim that we are the experts in putting the two together. It isn't "a bit"
we will be expected to know.  If we bring it up, then we'll be expected to
push it farther. The point is that I can foresee having a very few, if more
than one or two clients - probably composers - who will want you to learn
every doggone temperament in the book and then decide to make up a few of
his own.  And it will be up to us to spend hours and hours of time
researching and practicing various temperaments for one person instead of
working on the verticals in the practice rooms or finally getting that grand
restrung that's been sitting in the shop for 6 months, with 17 more in line
after it.

And while someone mentioned that we should charge extra for that sort of
thing, you have to bear in mind it will probably be the salaried staff tech
who can't change his income that will bear the brunt of most of that.

Slippery slope thing.
Jeff