[CAUT] three M3s

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Mar 8 17:13:45 PDT 2009

On Mar 8, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Dan Reed wrote:

> Three contiguous Mj3rd can be used to balance the octave..is there a
> better way aurally to set two precise markers inside the octave?

	I was fascinated to discover recently that this method goes all the
way back to Rome in the 1640s, as the procedure used by Atanasio
Kircher to produce ET (there was a small group of ET advocates in Rome
at that time). This is attested by Galeazzo Sabbatini in a manuscript
from around 1650, examined by Patricio Barbieri and reported in an
article published in 1986. Sabbatini himself used a method involving
three M3s (dividing each into its "component" four 5ths), but in order
to create 1/4 comma mean tone. His M3s were GB, EbG, and EG# (which
obviously don't, together, form an octave). He commented on the
similarity of his method to that of Kircher in producing ET, saying
that Kircher divided the octave into three equal M3s in his method
(then proceeding to divide each M3 into its "component" four 5ths).
	It's amazing how little has changed, and how many things are
constantly rediscovered. The method was again "discovered," this time
in Germany, around 1750 by Marpurg and Sorge. And by Montal in the
1830s. And popularized by John Travis in the mid 20th century. And I
agree, it is a good one.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico