[CAUT] keybushing steaming

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Mar 12 07:19:00 PDT 2009

	These three photos show the steamer I now use, which is a Conair
product I bought at Target for between $30-35. It is nice in that it
covers both sharps and naturals simultaneously, and also covers six or
seven keys at a time. I move it slowly over one keyclamp worth of one
rail, about one second per bushing, then do that again. The follow
immediately with the temperature controlled bushing iron. The iron is
dipped in and out very rapidly the first time, then followed with a
second run through a little slower (still less than a second the
second time). I insert a corner of the heated caul into the center of
the bushing as the initial move, to avoid the possibility of pressing
the bushing out of alignment - but usually the steam hasn't been
enough to soften glue, just enough to swell the fibers. If the
bushings haven't been lubricated before, I run powdered teflon in them
with a pipecleaner prior to the second use of the iron.

P2030003.JPG

P2030005.JPG

P2030007.JPG