[CAUT] STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!!!

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Mar 12 16:51:54 PDT 2009

Nope, leather is allergic to water, becomes hard and misshapen. Might
work on the new ultrasuede ones, though.
	What does work for leather knuckles is to cut one side of the leather
loose, and stretch the leather tighter and reglue. It isn't all that
hard. Requires some clamps, that can be made from plastic piping (saw
3/8" rings, put each against a disc sander until it is thinned in one
spot, then cut the middle of that thinned part). Often it works best
to trim the leather just a wee bit before regluing. For glue, use hot
hide.
	I'm not fond of the results of bolstering. Regluing the leather I
find is actually just as fast if not faster, once you have mastered
the technique. I think Ed Hilbert first turned me on to that, many
years back.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico