[CAUT] silicone (was Re: VSProfelt vs alcohol/water/softener vs steam)

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Thu Mar 12 10:48:30 PDT 2009

In a message dated 3/12/2009 9:49:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
fssturm at unm.edu writes:

I guess  I have heard that consistent use of a
silicone based polish would  have a negative effect on the finish.
Again, I'd like to know how  true this is, not having seen it happen.
Fred,

Yup. We've refinished lots of pianos, and the ones that gave us the most
fisheye problems were the ones whose owners consistently used Pledge. We've
tried wiping them down both before and after stripping with a variety  of
solvents, with no luck. It gets through microcracks in the old  finish, and is REALLY
persistent. We can counter it with Fisheye Flowout  (silicone oil), but it
always makes me uneasy.

Bob Davis