[CAUT] silicone (was Re: VSProfelt vs alcohol/water/softener vs steam)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Mar 12 12:25:48 PDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 11:48 AM, BobDavis88 at aol.com wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Yup. We've refinished lots of pianos, and the ones that gave us the
> most fisheye problems were the ones whose owners consistently used
> Pledge. We've tried wiping them down both before and after stripping
> with a variety of solvents, with no luck. It gets through
> microcracks in the old finish, and is REALLY persistent. We can
> counter it with Fisheye Flowout (silicone oil), but it always makes
> me uneasy.
>
> Bob Davis

	Yes, I know about that problem. What I am wondering is whether it
actually damages the original finish, using the silicone product to
polish it. And, if so, how.
	When I did refinishing, I just went with the additive. That was the
only way I could get a good, smooth finish. I always wondered what
would happen to the next poor fool who refinished the same instrument,
but I guess I'll never know - presumably they'll have to use the same,
or maybe alternate finishes don't/won't have the problem.
	Actually, sometimes the worst fisheyes I ran into were sharps, so
that I just decided the best procedure was to test one, and if they
were bad I'd replace the set rather than refinish. Come to think of
it, that's because I'd just use a spray can for sharps (rather than
dirty up the spray gun), and didn't have the option of the additive.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu