[CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri May 1 04:17:29 PDT 2009

Hi Jeff... just hazarding a bit of speculative here... but it could be
that the long and obviously very active back lengths combined with the
vertical hitch pin contrive in your instrument, and perhaps some others
to get some plate ring resonant frequency going.  That can be very
objectionable indeed.  Tho I wouldn't imagine it had much to do with the
vertical hitch pin per sé.   I'd suggest muting off the back lengths
with heavy felt.... At least it might be worth a try if you haven't
already done that.

    Yes, I know that's part of it, which I described. It is quite loud
    and  interferes with being able to hear what you're trying to tune.
    But I also  hear a lower tone, just like knocking on the plate, as
    if the vibration is carrying down the vertical pins and
    reverberating in the plate.  The tone I hear from a tuning strike
    sounds a bit like a "thonk" at the initial strike, with the string
    tone following shortly after.

         > Some people don't mind the noise, and some hate it. Harold
        apparently  didn't mind it.

Considering the comments leveled at the front duplex for what amounts to
exactly the same kind of affect.... I find this apparent justification
very odd myself.  Whats good for the gander and all that I'm sure.

    Well, if it weren't quite so loud...
    Jeff

Cheers
RicB