[CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri May 1 08:12:31 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <ricb at pianostemmer.no>
To: <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 7:17 AM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Hi Jeff... just hazarding a bit of speculative here... but it could be
that the long and obviously very active back lengths combined with the
vertical hitch pin contrive in your instrument, and perhaps some others
to get some plate ring resonant frequency going.  That can be very
objectionable indeed.  Tho I wouldn't imagine it had much to do with the
vertical hitch pin per sé.   I'd suggest muting off the back lengths
with heavy felt.... At least it might be worth a try if you haven't
already done that.

Hi Ric,
I've noticed the same effect on every Accujust Baldwin grand I've ever
tuned. Yes, that is also what I suspect the noise is that I hear.  My
assumption is that the strike vibration does travel across the bridge
exciting the back lengths, traveling down the vertical hitch and resonating
in the plate.  I never muted the back length, because I was respecting what
I assumed to be the result of the intended design.  I've never been a fan of
muting either "non-speaking" length, because while it does help with
eliminating some tones which sound objectionable up close, it absolutely
kills the overall tone and projection to an audience.  I suppose it would be
ok for a practice or teaching instrument in a small space.  But in
"performance" situations, including classrooms and churches, it's something
I wouldn't really want to do.  It only bothers me, and I expect its
something players wouldn't particularly notice unless it were pointed out to
them.

I'm not at the university anymore, so I don't see these instruments on a
daily basis like I used to.  I'm back to rarely seeing Accujust Baldwin
artist grands at all (other than maybe 5 tunings a year).  But while I was
there, it was real drudgery to have to tune through that noise, only to
result in what I always thought was disappointing tone. To me, they didn't
sound much better in tune than out.

Jeff