[CAUT] [pianotech] Insurance rant --was:Tax help for John

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon May 4 18:37:06 PDT 2009

Hi, Wim

>I'm glad you've been healthy, and that you've got a great outlook on
>life. But you've been living on borrowed time. Maybe you'll be
>lucky, and won't ever need it. But look at what happened to John.
>One second he was happily driving his motercycle down the street,
>and the next, he's had his life altered forever.

I sometimes think that we're all living on borrowed time.

I'd be terrified to get on a motorcycle. A high-powered high-speed
inherently unstable  machine tangling with huge vehicles which
outweigh it by a factor of ten or more, with absolutely nothing
between the rider and all that high-speed metal except one little
helmet and maybe a leather jacket ... so many young perfectly healthy
people turned into paraplegics or quadraplegics, in an instant.

I think one thing which gets me about insurance is that more and more
of the time for more and more people these days, it truly doesn't
insure. If you and David have had better luck, I'm glad ... but so
many haven't. The promised coverage evaporates as soon as they need
it, or the first round of treatments are covered, but then their
insurance isn't renewed.

To each his own. If I had kids, some sort of coverage would seem much
more important, I'm sure.

Susan