[CAUT] pin-block plugging?

Mark Cramer cramer at brandonu.ca
Tue May 5 07:39:35 PDT 2009

Hi Susan,

Someone had *plugged* several stripped screw holes in the tubular rail, and
tightening the flange screw simply augured the plug out of the hole. IOW,
the flange and flange-screw made a dandy plug-puller, just not the kind of
demonstration you need to see 30 minutes before curtain time.

My good friend Stan just mentioned that he's had good success swabbing
several coats of CA in the hole, then spraying accelerator on the
tuning-pin. Not exactly what you've described Susan, but similar. I'll have
to give your suggestion a try.

The piano I'm needing to plug is a 1920's Steinway that has several problem
holes, but should still be a long way from needing a new pin-block. (read:
it will have to make it on the wood it's got for a few more years)

Fred mentions routing out and replacing a section, which is also a great
repair (I made a jig, it's here somewhere.), however the problem-pins in
this block are kind of here and there throughout.

Meanwhile, I'm not really able to look at that particular piano until
August, but at least I'll know what to do when the time comes.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it!

Best regards,

Mark Cramer,

Brandon University

  _____