[CAUT] pin-block plugging?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue May 5 08:42:43 PDT 2009

Hi Mark,
	You say you haven't had success with CA. I agree with Susan: I think
it is probably because of dryness. CA needs some moisture to catalyze
it under normal circumstances, and most parts of the country there is
enough in the wood itself (as well as atmosphere) to set it pretty
fast. I notice a big difference between winter and summer application
(meaning 5-15% vs 50-60% RH). I tend to apply the extra-thin next to
the pin early in the tuning, and blow on it during the tuning from
time to time, and usually it will hold by the end. However, sometimes
I do find I need to pull the pin, swab, and replace. In which case I
use a gap filling formula (a little thicker). I don't find need for
accelerator, just blow in the hole, then pound in the pin. Haven't had
a time it didn't work yet.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico