[CAUT] Accujust tools

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue May 5 10:54:25 PDT 2009

	Since there seems to be some interest in the topic of restringing
with accujust pins, I thought I'd share the tools I have made for the
purpose: one to tap down, one to tap up, and a base for an angle gauge.
	Tap down is a bolt, with a hole drilled out the bottom. It's a 3/8"
bolt, since I didn't have a 7/16 or a 1/2 that was long enough to use
comfortably. Seems like there is still enough metal to work fine,
though.
	Tap up is a slide hammer made from an old tuning hammer shank, that
the threads had given way on. I would have used a bolt or a door hinge
pin, but I didn't have the right bolt, and the hinge pin I had was too
well tempered to drill. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the shank,
filled a flat surface on on side, sawed a couple kerfs about 1/8" from
the bottom with a hack saw, close to one another (and then pried the
little bit of metal left between the kerfs back and forth until it
broke). Then I used the hack saw to make two cuts in line with the
shank to create a vertical slot, and finished off the slot with a
file. I re-tapped the threaded end of the shank for a nut, and added a
washer. A deep, 1/2" drive socket makes a reasonable hammer to slide
on the shank.
	My base for the Wixey gauge is a hybrid of the two in the March
Journal. I found that screws on a wood base weren't as stable for the
magnets as a solid base, so I epoxied a strip of metal on my square of
wood. The feet that sit on the string are pairs of wood screws, #5 or
#6 x about 1", head cut off, then a groove filed.
	Not all that much investment of time making tools, and I think it
will make the job go faster than tapping down with a screwdriver blade
and prying up with something or other. I really like the Wixey gauge -
so much better than any bubble devise I have used. I'll actually do
the job in June after classes are out, but I have done a bit of
initial experimenting, and it seems pretty straightforward.

P5040001.JPG

P5040002.JPG

P5040003.JPG

Regards,