[CAUT] Steinway Serial #

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Wed May 6 11:28:37 PDT 2009

It has been my experience that the number of places that Steinway has
put the serial number into their pianos has varied quite a lot. There
was at least one era (late '70's plus or minus some amount) where I
haven't found them anywhere but on the plate, so I'm glad to hear
that I can look on top of the lyre. (I don't take lyres off unless I
need to!) In fact I have a piano in mind now whose lyre I'm actually
looking forward to removing!

It is a good idea to check the lyre case number (usually a letter
followed by 1 to 4 numbers) just to be sure that lyre was fitted to
that piano in the factory. Sometimes the lyre has been switched, and
that can be misleading. We have a local reseller who is notorious for
such things...

Note that there is another, similar, number to be found sometimes:
the action number. It is the same format, and my understanding is
that it tracks the keyframe, etc. until it is fitted to the piano, at
which point the case number is affixed. So the keyframe can have
three numbers: action, case and serial.

It is at least theoretically possible to get a serial number from
Steinway's books by knowing the case number and the era. (The case
numbers start over when they get to Z.) The era can usually be
deduced by various clues from the piano itself.

(Note that the above reflects my still incomplete understanding of
things Steinway--I'm grateful for any corrections or additions!)

Doug Wood
Piano Technician
School of Music
University of Washington