[CAUT] microphones for pianos

Lonnie Young Lonnie.Young at usm.edu
Wed May 6 09:39:50 PDT 2009

Hi ya'll,

I would like to add the discussion.  We have purchased for our church (Yamaha C7) Earth Works PM 40 Piano mic system.  It works great for us.  Downside is expense.  I first saw it on stage at a Dino Kartsonakis concert that I tuned for.

You can check it out at http://www.earthworksaudio.com/77.html

I have always been amazed at what I have found on various pianos in my area in regard to microphones for pianos, usually the microphone that was not used anymore for something else is either in the lighting holes in the plate, or stuffed under the soundboard on bottom.  I have one piano I service with a PZM laying on the center of the soundboard underneath the strings.  I cannot imagine how it works without all kinds of rattling noise.  Actually it does rattle without the sound system even being on.

Lonnie Young

The University of Southern Mississippi
Hattiesburg, MS