[CAUT] microphones for pianos

Keith Kopp keith_kopp at byu.edu
Wed May 6 11:39:19 PDT 2009

Nancy,

I made a call to our Audio Engineer here at Brigham Young University who has many years of experience in both recording and live applications. He is also very sensitive to what is easy to work with and can stand up to heavy use by some student sound people who are less than gentle.

He mentioned the Earthworks system which he reported as great but considers it "inaccessible" because of price.

He uses another system that I mentioned in the class when my son and taught in Kansas City that I seldom see used and talked about but has some great features. That is the Helpinstill system. This works by use of Humbucking pickups (guitar players will recognize this name) that are placed under the strings. Since this is not a traditional microphone it is very good for getting maximum volume and good sound without getting bleed through from surrounding instruments. You can have the drum set right next to the piano with the lid open. Helpinstill instruction manual can be read on line so you can see and understand how to use it. www.helpinstill.com<http://www.helpinstill.com>

His two favorite microphones for all around good sound and usability are the AKG 414 and the Audix SCX 25.

As we taught in our class this is a question that does not have one answer due to the many different applications and needs. If at all possible try different models in different situations and buy what works the best for you within your budget.

I agree with the comments that getting a good sounding piano is less due to the quality of microphone and more to do with the expertise of the user. I have heard good results from the standard Shure SM 57 and/or 58 microphones. I have heard poor results from microphones costing hundreds of dollars but used incorrectly by poor sound engineers. Think of it this way. You can put the most expensive and reported best electronic tuner on the market in the hands of a novice piano tuner and you will most likely end up with a less than desirable piano tuning.

Keith